Secular Madness!

I have this thing for Sixpence None the Richer, and since they broke up and turned out their Greatest Hits CD, I figured we'd never see them again until they turned 60 and had a reunion tour. And for me, it was never really a Sixpence thing: it was a Leigh Nash thing. I have no idea why -- her lyrics aren't the kind of lyrics I usually care anything about, and her pop style is usually like garlic and wolfbane for me, but somehow she wins me over. I think it's her version of "Babe in the Straw" which sets my point of reference, and I judge the rest of the stuff by how I receive that one song. Maybe her music makes me feel young in a good way -- not in a "I feel like I'm in college" kinda way because my college years were terribly mis-spent.

Anyway, I got this e-mail about a week ago from "her people" that she has produced a new CD -- totally unsolicited. They asked me (well -- full disclosure here: it was a mass e-mailing to a bunch of bloggers, and my blog was on the list) to review the CD for a free copy of said disk, and booyah to that.

Anyway, this is not that review -- I'll have to listen to the disk a couple of times before I can give a "review". Today I can just give a "recommendation": buy it. In fact, you can buy it by clicking on the image above. Is that cool or what?

It's not "christian music". There's no "Jesus is my [cliche]" songs on this CD. And to be honest, there's no silver fishy on this CD either -- no crypto-Christian metaphors that will subvert pop culture. It's pure secular madness, and I'm associating myself with it. I'd have to sell 100 of them from the above link to make $50, so I'm not in it for the money. I just like Leigh Nash.

If you want to listen, you can listen in here. It's flash-driven, so if you have a skinny connection you will probably be sad to click thru. The rest of you should go and sample, and then come back here and buy.

It's not Vivaldi: it's pop music. If that makes your ears bleed, don't say I didn't warn you.



double-secret technorati tags:

0 comments: