Solid Husband

I forgot to metion that we were in a bit of a hurry on Saturday to get "chores" done because we had a wedding to go to. It's one of the benefits of being an employer of people who need an entry-level job: you get to see their lives get started.

The Bride was a former employee who is frankly sharp as a tack, and she has netted a fine young man who is a "PK" (pastor's kid) who turned out real good -- he's an engineer and a great guy.

Anyway, his dad presided and spoke to the issue of godly marriage. Particularly, he was very much on about conforming our ideas about marriage to what God has said about marriage, and not trying to make marriage into something we think it ought to be. It was very touching hearing a father exhort his son to be like Christ to his wife, and to sanctify her through sacrifice of self.

My point, of course, is that while it may be charming and funny to think of something as "liquid husband", it is far more important to be considered a "solid husband" by one's wife. If you're a man who is reading this, and you are married, you should think about how solid a husband you are right now.

And I mean right now. Roll back from the keyboard and think to yourself, "when was the last time I sacrificed myself to sanctify my wife?" I am sure the answer is humbling, because even a guy like me who has a wife who calls coffee "liquid husband" is not half as good at this as he ought to be. God be willing that I will listen to and obey the Holy Spirit to be a better husband today than I was yesterday.

0 comments: