[%] Can I also add today ...

"Even so faith, if it hath not propositions, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have propositions: shew me thy faith without thy propositions, and I will shew thee my faith by my propositions." Some might argue that this restatement is leaning in the opposite direction from James' expressed concerns. So it is, which does not make it false or unnecessary -- Paul did it too. Paul and James were in full fellowship, both their concerns were legitimate, and they extended the right hand to one another. They did this, and what they both wrote is in the Scriptures because sinful men constantly want to veer off in one direction or the other. Paul opposed dead works, and James opposed dead faith. What they shared was their hostility to death.
HT: Doug Wilson.

0 comments: